Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting
Lighting is one of the largest infrastructures in the world. It can be divided into outdoor lighting, industrial and commercial lighting, and home lighting.
The main use case in Smart Lighting is better control of the luminaires which in turn brings considerable energy savings and lighting quality to users. On top of that, preventive maintenance functionality increases efficiency and reduces downtime.
In a Smart Building and Smart City context the lighting offers a much wider horizon of IoT applications. The lighting infrastructure can form an IoT communication network for a number of different applications, such as environmental sensoring, advertising, positioning etc.
The lighting is powered so energy efficiency is not a critical issue for the luminaires but usually the connected sensors need to be battery-operated. Also, density, range and demanding environments such as basements and deep indoors pose a challenge to the network.
Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting offers a de-centralized connectivity for large-scale outdoor and indoor lighting and also for the connected beacons and sensors used in the same area.
Cost-Efficient and Reliable Internet of Things Connectivity for Smart Lighting
An application paper focusing on the benefits of decentralized networks in smart lighting applicationsDownload whitepaper »
Features & benefits
- Low infrastructure cost. Standard radio components. No dedicated routers or repeaters needed.
- Easy incremental deployment as a part of regular maintenance
- Connected luminaires provide an access point for variety of IoT sensors
- Low latency – less than 10 ms per hop for the luminaires
- Low energy – 10+ years of battery autonomy for connected sensors and beacons
- No extra communication devices are required.
- High node to gateway ratio minimizes backhaul data plan costs. Deterministic bandwidth independent of scale