Capelon, a leading Nordic street lighting provider, has licenced Wirepas Connectivity for smart streetlight and smart city applications. Smart, connected lighting provides energy and maintenance savings while increasing the quality of light provided to users. At the same time the smart lighting infrastructure can extend the Internet of Things (IoT) to deliver a wide range of applications such as environmental sensing, advertising and indoor position locating.
- The reason for Capelon’s decision to choose Wirepas is that the Finland-based company’s business strategy perfectly fits into our vision and that its connectivity solution perfectly matches the system solutions, which we expect to offer our customers, when facing the challenges of a truly scalable and open smart city solution, Capelon CEO Liang Liem says.
Wirepas ticked the right boxes in regard to the application requirements. It is scalable, reliable, easy to deploy and efficient in terms of total cost of ownership. It is also radio spectrum friendly which is of great important in Smart City environment where several networks need to co-exist without interference.
- The partnership with Capelon is a great proof-case of the versatility of Wirepas Connectivity. The fact that we can do trade-offs between different network parameters, even run-time, guarantees that we can ensure a fit-for-purpose connectivity for different use cases and applications. We are proud that Capelon has chosen our technology, Wirepas CEO Teppo Hemiä says.
Wirepas Connectivity is a de-centralized radio communications protocol for large scale Industrial IoT applications such as smart metering, lighting, asset tracking, logistics and environmental sensoring. It enables limitless scale, ultra-low power operations, high reliability, and it is easy to deploy.
Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting is a wireless connectivity product optimized for indoor and outdoor lighting. The Wirepas Connectivity protocol is an automated multi-hop mesh network that enables each lighting node to communicate with its neighbor, passing data from device to device until it is finally delivered to a gateway. Each node can send data to multiple devices and to multiple gateways and is itself a possible routing point for any other node.
- We anticipate that with our solution based on Wirepas, the network connectivity will be the simple part of the smart city equation. Users say they just prefer to install a device and then forget everything about it. It just works, Liang summarizes.
- Liang Liem, CEO, +46 8 680 69 61, +46 70 898 9946, liang.liem(at)capelon.se
- Sebastian Linko, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, +358 (0)40 023 6607, sebastian.linko(at)wirepas.com
Wirepas in brief
Wirepas is focused on providing the most reliable, optimized, scalable and easy to use device connectivity for its customers. Wirepas Connectivity is a de-centralized radio communications protocol that can be used in any device, with any radio chip and on any radio band. With Wirepas Connectivity there is no need for traditional repeaters because every wireless device is a smart router of the network. The connected devices form the network – easy as that. Wirepas has its headquarters in Tampere, Finland and offices in France, Germany, South Korea, the UK and the United States.
Things connected – Naturally
Capelon in Brief
Capelon has worked with device communications and advanced meter readings for over 20 years and with smart streetlights for over a decade. The base for the connectivity in Capelon’s products has been a reliable and open standard powerline communication.
In 2016, the focus of the Capelon smart streetlight extended to the larger scope of a smart city. In a smart city, there can easily be several hundreds of thousand devices, so it is important that the platform of the city device network is truly scalable and robust and that devices are easily deployable. Capelon now offers a smart-city solution based on a unique and globally proven cutting-edge meshed RF solution which is designed specifically for large-scale IoT applications.
Capelon has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden.
Main media in Finland and global trade media